User Recognition

Last Forum Posts

Search Box

Guild Summary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matiet
Tribune

re: So you want raid as a mage?

Currently we are in patch 3.2.2 or something.... And there had been significant changes done to the mage class. Not necessarily great, but not necessarily horrible. Everything is still roughly the same, except we now have the opportunity to give warlocks a run for their money.

Currently the most popular raid spec is Arcane. I cannot speak for the other 2 raid mages with us, but I can tell you what I use as my main rotation nowadays and it's pretty simple.

First off making a macro for your cooldowns is pretty much an easy necessity now. Icy Veins, Arcane Power, trinkets, pots, gems, anything. I personally have one that is:

/cast Slow (this triggers torment the weak for me all the time)
/cast Icy Veins
/cast Arcane Power
/use Mana Sapphire (this is also due to the 7.0/7.5 tier 2 piece bonus)

If you want, make another with Mirror Image in it, not a problem having threat reduction. But potion wise, I highly recommend the potion of wild magic.

The best time to use this all though for maximum damage and everything, is when Bloodlusted.

Now that you've got that basic feel of cooldowns, I'll show you what I do for a spell rotation, and trust me it's really simple.

Arcane Blast x4+ until Missle Barrage is ready to roll, then go with arcane missle. Rinse and repeat. That simple. If you've got 2 or 3 stacks of Arcane Blast and Missle Barrage is up, then blast away. One stack and it pops, blast away. See simple now. Since Arcane Barrage (the instant cast one) now does not receive the benefit from Arcane Blast's increased crit, it's pretty much not that great outside of if you are moving. For example, Heigan. You're doing the dance, and you feel left out not being able to hit, throw an Arcane Barrage.

Now when it comes to gear and stats that you want to look for it's yet again just as simple if you are rolling an arcane mage for raid.

Hit. You always need hit, but with arcane spec, you need very little hit as 6 percent of the 17 are in the talent tree.

Here you may ask, do I want spellpower next? What about crit? What about haste?

Ok I'll simplify this. Crit you can wave bye bye to. You as an arcane mage can crit hard enough as is with your general rotation and if Arcane Potency pops up. Crit is no longer important, especially if you are running Molten Armor and the Glyph of Molten Armor.

What I personally went for is Spellpower and Haste. If you go for more haste you do more spells, if you have more spellpower you hit harder, makes plenty sense to me if you are already critting enough.

I know this explanation is pretty limited, but I'm also very tired, and I know this is mostly for those that are just generally interested in playing a mage for raids, don't be ashamed to ask other mages for help, I didn't want to believe arcane was great because back in TBC fire was the way to go, and I was stubborn to switch until basically Sundey convinced me otherwise, and I still swore up and down that fire was the way to go, and I have long since learned my lesson due to the many many nerfs that fire spec has received.

This is the generalized idea of Arcane mages at the moment, I'm actually going to be looking into another spec that gets rid of slow and picks up another set of points in Arcane, specifically if you are in a battle where raid damage is pretty much constant.

Until next time. Feel free to ask me in game or even on here for pointers or my two cents.

~Mati / Dixon

Thanks for this Mati. I was trying to figure out my rotation on my own and came up with pretty much the same thing.
Sundey

Who the hell wants to raid as a mage? They suck and they are no good.

Matiet
Tribune

Lol. Well I'm glad I could be of some service to help out with. On another addition what another mage had taught me, is say after Missle Barrage is up, and your arcane blast buff is gone, cast Presence of Mind and use Arcane Blast just to get things rolling again.

Sundey wrote:
Who the hell wants to raid as a mage? They suck and they are no good.

Mages are on top, atm. Dps-wise.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Matiet
Tribune

Yes and no. It depends on the boss fights that are happening, because say if it's something like Onyxia, general ranged dps can do very well in because of phase 2 where melee can't hit Onyxia, but say you've got a boss that you constantly have to kite around or mages need to watch for specific things to spell steal or decurse, or if there is a spell lock or anything, then melee dps can dominate.

In general it's not about rotation anymore for mages, it's more or less your action time and gear. One good mage that I talk to who just got into Harlequins recently is now pulling about 8k dps in 25 man raids. Basically he stopped caring about crit, didn't have to worry about hit because of gear, and just started stacking spell power and haste. Self buffed I think he had around 2600 spellpower and approximately 800 haste rating. That just gives the general idea of what endgame stats you really need to look for as it seems until the next Expansion comes out, then things change a bit differently with how they want to basically eliminate spellpower and redefine spirit to being based on mana regen and no longer part of mage crits.

No mages suck! We are good for nothing's that should only fill the waitress role.

she whispers: Mati....dude....c'mon. I'm trying to get us all the gear.

Matiet
Tribune

Actually this is true mages do suck. In fact here are 2 videos of what mages actually do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qHWyBZtyfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-jHePE6m1Y

Jump to: